Long Island M.A. in Childhood or Adolescent Special Education with an Annotation in Severe and Multiple Disabilities
The M.A. in Childhood or Adolescence Special Education with an Annotation in Severe and Multiple Disabilities is one of the best and most comprehensive programs available on Long Island.
In only 36 credits, the part-time program provides innovative preparation for excellence in the field of special education. All students in this program become eligible for the following certifications (dependent on their initial certifications):
- Childhood students with disabilities
- Secondary generalist for students with disabilities
Content specialist extensions are available in:
- Earth science
- Social studies
Every student will be eligible for the Annotation in Severe and Multiple Disabilities (Pre-K through 12, all grades).
Graduates from this program are currently experiencing success in classrooms on Long Island, the New York City area and out of state as special education educators, directors and doctoral candidates. Our students are highly regarded, and regularly sought after by school districts.
Accelerate Your Career
Students who complete an M.A. in Childhood or Adolescence Special Education at St. Joseph's University can complete the following programs at an accelerated rate:
- School Building Leader Advanced Certificate: Prepares individuals for such careers as principal, assistant principal, vice principal, associate principal, director, supervisor or department chair, coordinator or unit head (12 credits instead of 15).
- School District Leader Advanced Certificate: Provides skills and training necessary to pursue a career as a superintendent, district superintendent, assistant superintendent, deputy superintendent or associate superintendent (21 credits instead of 24).
- M.A. in Educational Leadership with Critical Consciousness: Geared toward individuals seeking any of the above-listed positions (21 credits instead of 33).
Flexible Online Schedule
Our online courses are taught synchronously which allows students to interact with faculty and classmates in real time. This format eliminates many of the barriers faced by the professionals in our program as it allows them to work from anywhere and removes the need for them to travel to campus on a regular basis.