Long Island Literacy and Cognition M.A.
Be the difference. Make a difference.
If you are looking for a program that will challenge you, encourage and prepare you for a successful career as a literacy specialist, then our M.A. in Literacy and Cognition is for you. Not only do we provide excellent preparation, but students in our program receive over 50 hours of hands-on learning experience with children.
Many of our students go on to become literacy coaches, specialists, supervisors and administrators. If you really want to make a difference and give a child the greatest gift of all, the gift of reading, then join us!
Did you know...
- One in four children in America grow up without learning how to read.
- Students who don't read proficiently by the third grade are four times more likely to drop out of school.
- By three years of age, there is a 30 million-word gap between children from the wealthiest and poorest families.
- If a reading problem is identified early, and the proper intervention applied, 90-95 percent of children "at risk" for reading failure will become fluent readers.
- Literacy specialists have more students reading at a higher rate because they have the training that is essential for reading improvement.
Accelerate Your Career
Students who complete an M.A. in Literacy and Cognition at St. Joseph's University can complete the following programs at an accelerated rate:
- School Building Leader Advanced Certificate: Prepares individuals for such careers as principal, assistant principal, vice principal, associate principal, director, supervisor or department chair, coordinator or unit head (12 credits instead of 15).
- School District Leader Advanced Certificate: Provides skills and training necessary to pursue a career as a superintendent, district superintendent, assistant superintendent, deputy superintendent or associate superintendent (21 credits instead of 24).
- M.A. in Educational Leadership with Critical Consciousness: Geared toward individuals seeking any of the above-listed positions (24 credits instead of 33).
“I researched literacy programs at various colleges and found St. Joseph's M.A. program to be all-encompassing. So far, the knowledge I have gained has been invaluable to my current teaching position as a first-grade teacher. I have been able to see a difference in my students as I use the strategies and techniques I have learned."