The Five Pillars — Intellectual Rigor
St. Joseph’s promotes curiosity about the world, a commitment to truth and a growing desire to deepen one’s understanding of ideas.
Our students’ continued dedication to their studies and broader career goals indicates that they value a life of the mind. From academic clubs and organizations to internships, honor societies and global studies trips, there are plenty of opportunities for students to pursue their intellectual interests outside of the classroom.
- The Honors Program offers eligible students an enriched and rigorous academic experience.
- The Annual Student Research Symposium celebrates the scholarly achievements of students from all academic disciplines.
- Our various honor societies, as well as national and international honor societies, invite qualified students to continue to excel academically.
- Our Study Abroad Program gives students the opportunity to learn internationally for a week, a month or an entire semester.
- Students can choose from more than a dozen academic clubs and organizations.
- Many of our departments offer and/or require students to participate in various internships and service-learning experiences, where they gain a better understanding of what they learn in the classroom by applying it in the real world.
Vanessa Rodriguez ’21
Through St. Joseph's University, Vanessa interned with Brookhaven National Lab, where she developed a mobile app that is now available for Android devices.
"Growing up, I was known for being the technician of the family. I was the one to fix the TV, the radio — basically anything that my parents did not understand. Technology always fascinated me, and I was eager to learn more. My wish was granted when I first took a computer programming class, and I fell in love. To this day, I still want to learn more about the world of computers."