Careers in Recreation
Recreation and leisure studies is one of the fastest-growing professions in the nation.
Alumni are employed in a myriad of clinical and community-based agencies and organizations such as psychiatric hospitals, physical medicine and rehabilitation centers, assisted-living and long-term care facilities, centers for the developmentally disabled, federal, state, and local recreation and parks departments, colleges and universities YMCA’s, health clubs, and many other non-profit, governmental and private recreational facilities.
Students who pursue the therapeutic recreation track are eligible to sit for the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) exam, leading to the Certified therapeutic recreation specialist (CTRS) credential, and those pursuing the Recreation, Sports and Park Administration major are eligible to sit for the Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) exam.
St. Joseph’s alumni are employed at a variety of sites such as: children and adult psychiatric hospitals, physical medicine and rehabilitation centers (PMR), assisted-living and long-term care facilities, centers for the developmentally disabled, local and state recreation and parks departments, YMCAs, colleges and universities, child-care facilities and other governmental, nonprofit and private recreational and leisure service agencies.
OTHER POSSIBLE CAREER PATHS INCLUDE
- camp director
- certified therapeutic recreation specialist
- college recreation instructor
- community center director
- cruise director of activities
- dance instructor
- exercise physiologist
- entrepreneur in recreation and leisure businesses
- facilities manager
- fitness instructor/specialist
- game official
- health club owner
- home care provider (therapeutic recreation)
- industrial recreation specialist
- municipal recreation director
- park ranger
- playground director
- prison recreation specialist
- program director and assistant
- recreation facility manager or therapist
- resort manager
- sports director, reporter or marketer