Cross Cultural Social Psychology: Romania and America
Dates: July 13-30, 2024
Class: Only one of these courses is required: PSY 330 (prerequisite or corequisite PSY 100) OR HIS 270
Romania serves as a backdrop for many famous castles, including Bran Castle commonly known as Dracula's Castle. On this trip, you will explore the history of Romania through walking tours and local interactions with makers of olive oil and folk costumes. Students will work with a nonprofit organization that utilizes outdoor education methods to help restore trust and creativity to a society transitioning away from decades of authoritarian rule. You will learn how the environment as a whole impacts our behavior and how we relate to others.
The Price Includes
- Scheduled group activities on this itinerary
- Round-trip airfare
- All airport taxes, security fees and fuel surcharges
The Price Does Not Include
- Transportation to/from JFK
- Meals that are not listed on the itinerary
- Additional increases in taxes and fuel surcharges at the time of ticketing
- Additional activities or optional trips
- Personal expenses such as Wi-fi, phone, and souvenirs
- Exceeding the airline's baggage allowance
Click to View Itinerary
- July 13: Depart from JFK [NY] in the early evening.
- July 14: Transfer in Poland and then arrive in Bucharest. Settle into the city and enjoy a welcome dinner with your group.
- July 15: Gain a historical and political overview of Bucharest through a Communism walking tour. This tour provides context for the social psychological background.
- July 16: Free day in Bucharest where you can explore more in depth some of the sites that you have seen in passing.
- July 17: Tour the Bucharest parliament building.
- July 18: Take a day trip to visit the majestic mountainous area of Transylvania where you will tour two castles [Peles and Bran]. The Bran Castle serves as inspiration for Dracula.
- July 19: Board the train to Sibiu. Sibiu is a quaint cobblestone town. After checking in, take a 3 hour visit to the nomadic Roma community and their schools.
- July 20: Participate on a half day walking tour of Sibiu with a local guide. Then board a train to the mountains of Baile Tusnaud. When we arrive at the New Horizons Foundation, enjoy a dinner while getting to know the organization.
- July 21: Engage in a culture and community overview. Go to the forest for adventure education and to participate in the ropes course. In the evening, attend a Traditional Seklers workshop- instrumental music and dancing.
- July 22: Embark on a 2-hour hiking trip to Saint Anna Lake and Tinovul Mohos. Take an overnight train to Baia Mare.
- July 23: In the morning when you arrive in Baia Mare by overnight train, connect with the local IMPACT club at Baia Sprie. Enjoy a guided tour to the Blue Lake. Have lunch at our local artisan accommodations. In the afternoon, celebrate the IMPACT festival with the local Impact club. In the evening, eat dinner together.
- July 24: Visit the open-air Museum of Ethnography and Folklore. Engage in a workshop on folklore where you would make Romanian crafts and learn Romanian music and dances. In the late afternoon, explore the cultural and natural patrimony of Baia Mare. Alongside dinner, receive a pottery demonstration.
- July 25: Travel an hour to the Green Impact Club of Sighet. The club members will teach the group how to make Romanian souvenirs. Afterwards, go to the Memorial of the Victims of Communism. In the late afternoon, meet with a local artist or historian. In the evening, visit the brightly colored Merry Cemetery, where locals decided to laugh about death. Start a homestay experience.
- July 26: The Impact club from Budești and Breb will came together and they will prepare for you a Șezătoare – local event where people used to gather, work, play music, dance, eat and drink. Learn how to make a local dish. Participate in a tour of the village as well. In the evening, close out the experience with our non profit partner by joining around the campfire.
- July 27: Depart for the quaint city Cluj. Upon arrival, settle into your accommodations and enjoy some free time in the city.
- July 28: Explore the salt mines at Salina Turda.
- July 29: Attend two lectures. One is on attachment theory. The second one is on the history of Romania. Participate in a tour of Cluj. Farewell dinner together at Roata.
- July 30: Depart on an afternoon flight back to NY [JFK]
How to Apply
Directions for applying online:
Due to new government regulations, passport information must be provided with your final payment. If you need a new passport, apply immediately.
Without passport information tickets cannot be issued and delays with ticketing may create penalties and/or cancellations without a refund.
A copy of your passport is due no later than January 22, 2024.