Prekindergarten Co-Teacher/Teacher Assistants
January 10, 2023
Long Island Campus
The St. Joseph's University Universal Prekindergarten Programs is seeking Co-Teacher/Teacher Assistants. St Joseph’s UPK provides high quality prekindergarten services to 6 districts in Long Island. St. Joseph's UPK utilizes the Co-teaching model and this experience will count toward professional hours for NYS Certifications.
Salaries for Co-teachers/TA’s are around $135 per day. No benefits are offered. This position is part time, follows the district school calendar and pre-k school day.
The Freeport, Lawrence, Plainedge, Uniondale, Westbury and Wyandanch school districts on Long Island.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist lead teachers in planning, developing, and implementing the age-appropriate curriculum.
- Provide support to lead teachers in devising and imparting lesson plans on a daily basi
- Set up interest centers and prepare instructional material.
- Instruct and supervise children in social and developmental activities
- Supervise students within the classroom and during recreational activities.
- Provide an environment of comfort and security for young students by indulging in nurturing behavior.
- Guide and help handle remedial work activities in either small groups or 1:1.
- Assist students during lunchtime, toileting, and washing activities.
- Enforce cleanup activities after centers and lunchtime by modeling appropriate behavior and reinforcement songs.
- Observe students for changes in behavior and report findings to the lead teacher, site supervisor and director.
- Assist the lead teacher in evaluating students and writing down anecdotal notes.
- Supervise students during field trips to ensure their safety and wellbeing.
- Organize and supervise gross motor activities during outdoor/indoor recess.
- Collaborate with Lead Teacher about student record keeping, filing, teacher made materials and photocopying activities.
- Provide input on the overall progress of a student during parent-teacher meetings.
- Supervise and impart instruction to students in the absence of the class teacher.
- Provide one-on-one support to young students, such as helping them write their names or learning initial counting.
- Bachelor’s degree in education preferred
- At least 6 credits in an Educational Program with an approved 5 year plan
- Experience working with children in a school or recreational setting
- NYSED Teacher Assistant Certification (can be obtained after hired)
Please send resumes and letters of intent to Mrs. Pamela Renneisen, Director of St. Joseph's UPK Programs at [email protected].
It is the policy of St. Joseph's University not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, age, disability, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, military status, status as a protected veteran, marital status or status of an individual in any group or class protected by applicable federal, New York State or New York City Law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, educational programs, admissions policies, financial aid, and all other school administered programs or policies.
The University also provides accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws. If you need an accommodation during the application process or while employed, please contact Human Resources.
Your employment is contingent upon receipt of proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Please note that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires that all U.S. employers complete and retain a current Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States, verifying the employment eligibility and identity documents presented by the employee and recording the document information. You will be required to complete your portion of the document, with your documentation verifying your identity and eligibility to work, no later than your third day of employment.