- Ph.D., Politics, Brandeis University, 2001
- M.A., History of American Civilization, Brandeis University, 1991
- B.A., History and English, Fordham University, 1988
Stephen J. Rockwell is a professor of political science.
Before joining the St. Joseph's College faculty, Dr. Rockwell worked as a senior research analyst at The Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., and as an assistant professor in the political science and public administration programs at the University of Michigan-Flint.
Dr. Rockwell is the author of Indian Affairs and the Administrative State in the Nineteenth Century (Cambridge University Press, 2010) and How Big Government Won the West (2013). He has authored numerous articles and reviews, most recently the article, "Henry Knox and the Forging of Bureaucratic Autonomy," in the journal Federal History. He is also co-editor (with Peter Woll) of American Political Ideals and Realities (Longman, 2000).
Scholarly & Professional Interests
- National institutions, especially the presidency and the U.S. Supreme Court
- Public administration, especially organizational behavior and ethics
- Race, ethnicity and politics, including American Indian affairs and immigration issues
- American political development
- The Presidency and the American State: Leadership and Decision Making in the Adams, Grant, and Taft Administrations. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press (forthcoming).
- Indian Affairs and the Administrative State in the Nineteenth Century. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (2013; 2010).
- American Government: Competition & Compromise, with Peter Woll. New York: McGraw-Hill (2001).
- American Political Ideals and Realities, with Peter Woll. New York: Addison Wesley Longman (2000).
ARTICLES AND ESSAYS
- “Indian Affairs and the Relentless American State,” in Washington's Government: Charting the Origins of the Federal Administration, ed. Max M. Edling and Peter J. Kastor (Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2021).
- “Henry Knox and the Forging of Bureaucratic Autonomy,” Federal History 10 (April 2018).
- “The Size of Government,” in American Governance, ed. Stephen Schechter, et. al. Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference USA (2016).
- “The Indian Bill of Rights,” in American Governance, ed. Stephen Schechter, et. al. Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference USA (2016).
- “Public Service and the Making of America,” PATimes (May-June-July 2013).
- How Big Government Won the West. New York: BookBaby.com (2013).