Oral History Project — “The College Years”
St. Joe’s alumni! We want to hear your story!
As a student, were you inspired by a professor who challenged you to think differently or impacted by one of the Sisters who helped shape St. Joseph’s? How did your education prepare you for a career, for service to your community, for life? Did your college friendships create memories that will last a lifetime or did you meet your spouse or partner? Your “The College Years” stories will be part of an oral history project that connects St. Joseph’s University alumni across generations, across professions, and across the world through their shared experiences. We will collect stories and compile two books — one for the Brooklyn Campus and one for the Long Island Campus.
There is no cost to participate in the oral history project, but you will be given an opportunity to purchase the publication and exclusive St. Joseph’s gear.
For questions or more information, please contact Jennifer Appicella at 718.940.5579 or [email protected].
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I received an email/postcard/phone call asking for my personal information and a story about St. Joseph’s University, New York. Tell me more about the project.
We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce an Oral History Publication for St. Joseph’s University, New York. PCI is a family owned business that has published directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities and military organizations across the nation for over 100 years. This project allows us to hear about your personal experiences from your time at St. Joseph’s University, New York and how the school has helped shape your life since then. We also want to make sure your contact information is up to date.
2. Does St. Joseph’s University, New York benefit from this at all?
Yes, in a few different ways:
- Updated Information: Allows us to effectively communicate with and engage alumni.
- Legacy: Sharing and collecting stories preserves the history of our school.
- Revenue: Generates donation revenue for alumni programs.
- Pride: Wearing apparel shows support and love for our school.
3. How do I know my information will only be used for Oral History Project purposes?
PCI is committed to protecting your information. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI for the publication of the Oral History Project will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Oral History Project, and except as required by court order or law. Upon completion of the project, PCI will redact Personal Identifiable Information (PII) from any and all electronic files that we have supplied or were produced by PCI in connection with the production of the Oral History Project.
4. I would like to verify or update my information and share a story. How may I do this?
- If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the Oral History Project. The representative will verify all the information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, and then ask you to share your story about your time at St. Joseph’s University, New York. Your story will be recorded and the sound clip provided to St. Joseph’s University, New York at the conclusion of the project.
- If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information and submit a story.
5. Can I choose what information prints in the publication?
The only information that is included in the publication is your name, class year and degree, along with your story and photo. No contact information is printed. When you call to update your contact information, it will only be used to update your alumni record for the school/alumni association. You may revoke consent for your story and/or photo to appear any time before 11/25/2022 by contacting PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1.800.982.1590 or [email protected]shingconcepts.com.
6. I updated my information but need some more time to think about what experience to share.
You can call back at any time before 11/25/2022 to share your story.
7. I shared a story and the representative said I could send a photo. How do I do this?
You will receive an email with a link to upload one photo (color or black and white), plus a caption.
If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send a physical photo (note: the photo will be returned if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope).
8. Can anyone purchase a book?
The St. Joseph’s University, New York Oral History Publication is available for sale only to St. Joseph’s University, New York alumni.
9. I ordered a book/package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this?
Contact PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1.800.982.1590 and they will take care of this for you.